11 November 2007
The founders were interviewed tonight by Alabama Public Television for the documentary in the “main street” of Innovation Depot… it’s Sunday night of the 2nd weekend and we’re in here cranking out code and tidying up things on the new site. They are literally sitting in the spotlight. :^)
Some of the implementation team have come and gone. Some promise to come back once their kids (there are only two 20-somethings in the group) are situated at home. Two have dragged their wifes here for awhile to garner ‘free passes’. The oddest thing about it right now is that we have 3 JAVA guys hacking “dot net nuke”. I’m just watching and breaking things periodically on the test server.
Oh what fun we are having!
BTW, anyone know where the Advil is?!?
2 November 2007
FREE parking is available in the parking lot at the 14th Street end of the building. There is 24 hour a day security and a guard will escort you to your vehicle upon request should you find yourself needing to head home at 3am.
1 November 2007
Birmingham’s startup weekend event wouldn’t be on track without our great team of organizers. But, what makes this effort truly amazing are the sponsors that have stepped up with their own expertise and/or special offering. Here’s who’s on board as of this morning…
- ITAC Solutions is the “presenting sponsor”… they’re putting up the $$$ to cover hard costs *AND* are sending staff to participate on the teams where their expertise will be most useful.
- Burr & Forman‘s Technology Practice group is handling all of the legal work, pro bono. This means that the winning team will get their corporate documents taken care of (filing fees with the state and county are the team’s responsibility) in the week interlude between the weekends. They are presenting 3 topics on Saturday afternoon… how else can you get 2.5 hours of a lawyer’s time without having to pay for it? <VBG> And, they have taken care of the legal process to ensure that the resulting company ends up properly owning the intellectual property that we all help them create. The firm is also hosting the selection event/reception on the first Sunday evening.
- Innovation Depot is the primary venue for our event. Thank you to Susan Matlock for letting us move in rent-free for the two weekends and thanks to Devon Laney for taking on the role of venue manager.
- ComFrame Software and Westglenn Software are stepping up with modest amounts of cash and equally important manpower.
- Buffalo Rock just yesterday confirmed that they will be providing participants in both weekends with an assortment of “high octane” soft drinks, such as Pepsi MAX and Mountain Dew Code Red (appropriate, eh?)… maybe even Mountain Dew Game Fuel.
- Other partners include TechBirmingham, Microsoft, and BUG.NET